In Yerevan State University, along with the educational processes, much attention is paid to the students' extracurricular life. In this recent period of the Independence of the Republic of Armenia, YSU cultural life made a progress. In June, 2006 by the decision of YSU Academic Council, Cultural Centre was founded. The primary objectives of the Centre was the coordination of cultural life, the organization of cultural events held by the university students, as well as the arrangement and the improvement of the quality of the events organized by YSU infrastructures. For the realization of this objectives various cultural groups have been created by professional managers, and creative and talented students, professors were involved in their activities.
In the Cultural Center the following cultural groups are operating, with the help of which various cultural events are being implemented.
- Theatre-studio “Universitarian” (“Hamalsaranakan”)- Artistic director Karine Davtyan
- Ensemble of female dancers - Aristic director Ani Haroyan
- Choir - Artistic director RA honoured Artist Karen Sargsyan, conductor Ruben Karaseferyan
- Studio of Creative work (literature) – Director- Doctor of Philology, professor Samvel Muradyan
- “NIKE” volunteering squad- the coordinator- Arevik Prazyan
- Cinema club - the coordinator Varsik Sahradyan
- Folk orhcestra - Artistic director - Armen Ayvazyan
- Guitarists group - Artistic director Norayr Shahbazyan
- Ethnic dance ensemble Artistic director Rafik Hakobyan
The aims and objectives of the Cultural Center are the following:
- The development of cultural skills of YSU students' along with educational processes.
- The provision of communication of University students with students from different countries, including Artsakh and Diaspora, through culture.
- The organization and participation of interuniversity and state competitions, festivals, the discovery of gifted and talented students through the development of interuniversity cultural ties.
- The organization of inter-cultural competitions, festivals among student within and between the Universities.
- The organization of exhibitions, concerts and performances not only in Armenia, but also abroad.
- The organization of cultural lectures, seminars, round table discussions.
- The development of a good taste by organizing film screenings, performances, discussions, meetings with famous people.
The main activities of the Cultural Center are the following:
- The organization of concerts not only in Yerevan State University, but also in different regions of the Republic of Armenia and in Artsakh.
- The regular organization of meetings with prominent people from the cultural world.
- Visits to the theaters by organizing discussions with the creative stuff of the performance.
- Visits to the performances of National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet after Alexander Spendiaryan.
- The promotion of the participation of large-scale events, television programs, video shootings.