Institute of Physics
The training of mathematical physicists at Yerevan State University began in 1922. In 1933, a significant event in the development of physics in Armenia was the establishment of the physics and mathematics faculty in the structure of the university with separate departments of physics and mathematics.
In 1959, to promote the development of physics and provide new staff the Faculty of Physics was separated from the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics of the university and the first dean of the newly formed faculty was Norayr Kocharyan, Corresponding Member of the Academy of Sciences of ASR.
With the assistance of Academician Victor Hambardzumyan, the President of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia, in 1975, the Faculty of Radiophysics was separated from the Faculty of Physics. The founder and the first dean of the faculty was a corresponding member of the RA National Academy of Sciences, Professor Yu. L. Vardanyan.
Based on those two faculties, in 2022, the YSU Institute of Physics was formed to fill the lack of modern physics specialists in RA.
The institute organizes education in a three-level system: Undergraduate, Master's, and Postgraduate.
Director: Ph.D., Professor
Tel: (+374 60) 710 302
(Inner line: 23-02)