The Faculty of History at YSU has been operating since the university was founded in 1919. It first functioned independently and then acted as a department of the Faculty of History and Linguistics, then a subsection of the Department of Social Sciences, and afterward, as a department of the Faculties of Pedagogy, Oriental Studies, and Historiography. As an independent unit, the Faculty of History was established in 1936.
The faculty has a three-level educational system: Undergraduate, Master's, and Postgraduate.
Leading specialists in the field and well-known scientists in the republic teach at the faculty, who, as guest specialists, give lectures at foreign universities, and undergo training in prestigious international educational and scientific institutions. The representatives of the teaching staff are involved in local and international scientific research programs.
The Faculty of History cooperates with Armenian Studies Centers operating at Oxford and Geneva Universities, Ca’ Foscar, Michigan, Halley, Budapest Universities, as well as Moscow State University named after Lomonosov, Southern Federal University (RF), Boris Yeltsin University, Ivane Javakhashvili University, and with other scientific and educational institutions.
The daily life of students at the faculty becomes fuller and more interesting thanks to the activities of student organizations. Within the framework of exchange programs, students of the faculty have the opportunity to study at prestigious universities abroad.
Undergraduate students have the opportunity to participate in the courses of the pedagogic educational block (on a paid basis) and receive the qualification of a pedagogue.
Since its establishment, the faculty has had more than 10,000 graduates who work in the state system, science, education, public life, and other fields.